Friday, August 28, 2009

new bob interview

Journey Beyond The Artist’s Studio: Bob Reuter

Beyond the surface, there is a deep end to each artist I meet. Through this series of interviews, I have had the great opportunity to introduce many artists to a developing audience, virtually visiting each in their studio. The tenth interview in the ongoing series Journey Beyond The Artist’s Studio is with South City’s own, St Louis artist Bob Reuter.



Essential to Reuter’s photographs/music/writing is a great, familiar sense of being alive in the moment. His photographs, noir as they might appear, are contemporary moments captured. Unlike documents, Reuter’s photos are complete with the sense of time. That sense that it’s Thursday. That sense that it is 2:00pm. Bob’s songs are visceral and of a legendary quality. Reuter’s stories are actual legends. All are about Bob.


Recently I caught up with Bob:


DBS:
Please start off by describing your studio for our readers in 3 words.

Bob:
world of confusion


DBS:
If you could take a trip in a time machine, when and where would you go?

Bob:
Memphis 1956.

DBS:
Do you work full-time as an artist or do you have another job?

Bob:
Full time artiste

DBS:
Tell us 3 random things about yourself.

Bob:
  • I come from a different time
  • I can tolerate way more pain than the average person
  • And I'm very good at what I do!

DBS:
Please select one of the following super human powers that best fit your personality and tell us why:
-the ability to fly
-the ability to become invisible
-super human strength
-the ability to read minds.

Bob:
-super human strength** - I can tolerate a lot of pain

DBS:
When did you start making art and how did you get into it?

Bob:
I started making shit when I was about 7 - got into it by dating artists and when it would never work out, I became one.

DBS:
You completely change your career path with no limitations; what other fields interest you?

Bob:
I'm already open and ready to go wherever my heart takes me - I mean I already write, take pictures, draw and sing my own songs

DBS:
What motivates you as an artist? Why do you make art?

Bob:
- the need to tell my own story - ie, what it's been like to be Bob Reuter in the middle of America during the last half of the 20th and beginning of the 21st centuries

DBS:
Who do you admire (artist or otherwise)? Why?

Bob:
Anybody who lives their own life, walks their own path, feels their own feelings and aint a republican or racist asshole

DBS:
Indeed!
Describe what you would do with a free storefront property and $10,000?

Bob:
Start the church of the 45 RPM single! - St. Sam Phillips of Memphis

DBS:
Thank you for the interview Bob!
  • To learn more about the Bob Reuters stories please visit his website.
  • To purchase Bob’s photographs, visit his shop.
  • Please show your appreciation for Bob by leaving a comment here.
  • Bob's Scratchy Records is presented each Friday at 2:00 pm on KDHX.
  • For samples of Reuter’s music, check him out online.

No comments:

Post a Comment